San Diego, California Attractions
Unusual landmarks, museums, roadside attractions, and hidden wonders in San Diego and the surrounding area. Statues of Bob Hope and a giant, smooching sailor lend 20th century nostalgic flair to this Navy city's waterfront. Inland, Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden spins public art into a dizzy fever dream.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
Colorful fantasy sculpture world of tiles and serpents. Massive work by sculptor and painter Niki de Saint Phalle.
El Cajon, California
Headquarters of the Unarians, firm believers that 33 city-ships of the galactic Federation would arrive on Earth in 2001 (they didn't).
It's tricky enough to build a gun or a car that works. The obsessive model-builders in this museum take it a big step further by building their machines on an itty-bitty scale.
El Cajon, California
Officially called the Mariam Mother of Life Shrine. Completed in 2003. Made of stone from Lebanon, the property was a Lebanese Catholic church.
Glass mosaic of the Virgin de Guadalupe surfing, installed clandestinely in 2011 by artist Mark Patterson, has a permanent home right across from the spot of its original manifestation.
In and Around San Diego
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of California attractions.
- San Diego: A National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military
- Escondido: Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden
- Carlsbad: Craftsmanship Museum: Tiny Machines
- San Diego: Statues of Bum and Greyfriars Bobby [tips]
- San Diego: Air and Space Museum: Nazi Flying Wing, Apollo 9 Capsule [tips]
- San Diego: Louie Mattar's Fabulous $75,000 Cadillac
- San Diego: Museum of Man [tips]
- San Diego: Unconditional Surrender Statue
- San Diego: San Diego Model Railroad Museum [tips]
- San Diego: HMS Surprise - Master and Commander Ship [tips]
- San Diego: Barrio Logan Art: Under the Bridge [tips]
- San Diego: Our Lady of Shoes
- Coronado: Haunted Hotel
- San Diego: Cancer Survivor Gauntlet
- San Diego: U.S.S. Recruit - Landlocked Dummy Ship [tips]
- San Diego: El Campo Santo Cemetery - Sidewalk Graves
- San Diego: Mexican Cowboy, Courtesy of Mexico's President
- San Diego: Presidents Museum in a High School [tips]
- Lemon Grove: World's Largest Lemon
- La Jolla: Mount Soledad Cross [tips]
- San Diego: Unfriendly U.S.-Mexico Friendship Monument [tips]