Fergus Falls, Minnesota: Broken Down Dam
An attempt to build a dam on the Otter Tail River in 1908 was dissembled by a hidden natural spring. Huge chunks of the old concrete dam still span the river in this city park.
Broken Down Dam Park
- Broken Down Dam Rd, Fergus Falls, MN
- Take Main St. east out of town until it turns to gravel. Travel for about a mile or so. On your left will be a turn-off for Broken Down Dam Rd, make the left and follow it to the end. At the dead end, you will see a handmade sign for Broken Down Dam. Begin an easy hike north down to the river to the dam.
- Daylight hours.
Broken Down Dam
Visitor Tips and News About Broken Down Dam
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Outside of Fergus Falls on the Otter Tail River is the old Broken Down Dam. Back in 1909, some engineers built a dam on the river, unknowingly right on top of a spring. The spring didn't take long to wash the dam away, leaving giant concrete pieces strewn about in the River like Roman ruins. Very cool, scenic place for something different to do.
[BS Meyer, 12/23/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 10, 2013
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Statue of Goldy Gopher, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Zimmerman Sinking Barn, Zimmerman, Minnesota
- Stretch Limo in a Cornfield, West Union, Minnesota
- Three Stooges Chainsaw Carvings, Spring Valley, Minnesota
- Walking Lion, McIntosh, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Medical Exhibit of Yesteryear, Martinsburg, West Virginia
- Wizard Of Oz Dorothy Grave, Bloomington, Illinois
- Time Portal Tromp L'oeil Murals, Brooksville, Florida
- Feature: Clinton Wedding House, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- TARDIS Little Free Library, Lisle, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips