Fergus Falls, Minnesota: Broken Down Dam
An attempt to build a dam on the Otter Tail River in 1908 was dissembled by a hidden natural spring. Huge chunks of the old concrete dam still span the river in this city park.
Broken Down Dam Park
- Broken Down Dam Rd, Fergus Falls, MN
- Take Main St. east out of town until it turns to gravel. Travel for about a mile or so. On your left will be a turn-off for Broken Down Dam Rd, make the left and follow it to the end. At the dead end, you will see a handmade sign for Broken Down Dam. Begin an easy hike north down to the river to the dam.
- Daylight hours.
Broken Down Dam
Visitor Tips and News About Broken Down Dam
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Outside of Fergus Falls on the Otter Tail River is the old Broken Down Dam. Back in 1909, some engineers built a dam on the river, unknowingly right on top of a spring. The spring didn't take long to wash the dam away, leaving giant concrete pieces strewn about in the River like Roman ruins. Very cool, scenic place for something different to do.
[BS Meyer, 12/23/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 31, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Paul Bunyan's Marble, Chisholm, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan and Babe Statue, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Bunyan's Adirondack Chair, But No Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Stick Your Head in the Lion Mouth, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Wild Thing Hay Bales, Brainerd, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Wolf's Museum of Mystery, St. Augustine, Florida
- Yellow Submarine, Hobart, Washington
- Dinosaur Ridge, Morrison, Colorado
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Lizard Butte, Marsing, Idaho
Latest Visitor Tips