Monterey, California: Cannery Divers Memorial
Bronze mold of a classic Morse Mark V diving helmet like the ones used by divers who installed and maintained the cannery's underwater sardine pipes and pumps. Two divers died. 2008 monument honors the divers and tenders.
Cannery Divers Memorial
Visitor Tips and News About Cannery Divers Memorial
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Located on Monterey's famous Cannery Row is a memorial to ten hardhat divers and their tenders who once serviced the sardine industry. The divers worked on installing and repairing underwater pipes that transported the fish from floating pens to the canneries on shore. Sadly, two of the divers died in service to the world famous industry that made Monterey "The Sardine Capital of the World."
The bronze dive helmet sculpture on the memorial is a classic Morse Mark V helmet, a standard of the commercial dive industry for over 100 years and still available today.
[Phil Pasquini, 08/29/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 17, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Donut - Dunkin Donuts, Long Beach, California
- Giant Gas Guy, Hayward, California
- Rocket Park and Airplane Graveyard, Mojave, California
- Gawk at Elephant Seals, San Simeon, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Confederate Nuclear Missile, Cordele, Georgia
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- World's Largest Functioning Fire Hydrant, Las Vegas, Nevada
- One-Armed Hot Dog, Winsted, Connecticut
Latest Visitor Tips