Oakland, California: Stuffed Polar BearA 12-foot-tall stuffed polar bear snarls in a glass case in a restaurant supply store.
East Bay Restaurant Supply Store
- 49 4th St., Oakland, CA
- East Bay Restaurant Supply Store. Drive east on 4th St. as far as you can, and you'll see the store.
- M-Sa 8-5 (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Stuffed Polar Bear
There is a 12-foot-tall stuffed polar bear in the East Bay Restaurant Supply Store in Oakland. It's cool on its own, and to be sitting in a restaurant supply store increases it coolness IMHO. It is apparently a record-sized bear, shot by the founder of the store in Alaska in 1966.[Tiki Mark, 01/21/2013]
We're probably too suspicious, but always wonder about the truthiness of I-shot-a-polar-bear stories. Maybe the bear is just one of the "supplies" salvaged from a sportsman's bar that went out of business? Jan. 28, 2012: Tiki Mark followed up with a plaque pic, reading: "Record Class - Polar Bear - top Ten in Boone & Crockett Trophy Club" and "Killed by John Breznikar, March 8, 1966, Guide Harry Pederson, Taxidermy by Outer's, Oakland." Buy local!
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California, Oakland, CA - 1 mi.
- Children's Fairyland, Oakland, CA - 1 mi.
- Pardee Home Museum - Stolen skulls, Oakland, CA - 1 mi.
- In the region: Helicopter Burger King, San Carlos, CA - 19 mi.