Oakland, California: Children's FairylandCreated in 1950 as America's first three-dimensional storybook theme park. Also home to America's oldest continuously operating puppet theater.
- 699 Bellevue Ave., Oakland, CA
- I-580 to Grand Ave., then west to Bellevue Ave. and the Park, on the left.
- Daily 10 am-4 pm, weather permitting (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Children's Fairyland
Just took my 3 and 5 year-old nieces there for an afternoon of adventure - just as I remembered it from 40 years ago. Lots of activities for kids, especially under 10s, including rides (very tame, like the train ride) pirate ship, Old West town, lots of colorful fairy tale (life-size) figures, puppet shows, loads of animals to pet (and feed). A wonder-filled experience for little tykes. Concession stands and exit through the gift shop.
Surrounded by open parkland around Lake Merritt in Oakland. Be sure to purchase the Fairyland Magic Key that allows you to listen to info, stories and music throughout the park![Johnomo, 01/08/2011]
I was pleased to find the ORIGINAL kid's storyland/fairyland in Oakland, in Lake Merrit Park. According to their site, it was "created in 1950 as America's first three-dimensional storybook theme park." The day I was there, mobs of four-year-olds accompanied by frantic adults were walking toward it chanting "FAI-REE-LAN! FAI-REE-LAN!" in a manner reminiscent of zombies in the Dawn of The Dead films. I could not go in as I had no kid with me, but I could see through the fence. Unlike the attraction in New Orleans, this one had animals (And the entrance is a topiary dragon. Very nice.)[Flatus Maximus, 05/30/2004]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California, Oakland, CA - < 1 mi.
- Stuffed Polar Bear, Oakland, CA - 1 mi.
- Pardee Home Museum - Eccentric Collection, Oakland, CA - 1 mi.
- Junk Sculpture of Star Wars C3PO, Emeryville, CA - 2 mi.