Columbia, South Carolina: Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
After he died, the name of Strom's bi-racial daughter was chisled into its base.
- Pendelton St., Columbia, SC
- Downtown, in front of the State Capitol, facing Pendelton St. between Assembly and Sumter Sts. Two blocks south of US 1/76. (Gervais St.)
Dead senator's biracial daughter's name to be added to his monument
Visitor Tips and News About Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
South Carolina's Governor Mark Sanford has approved a bill that will append Strom Thurmond's monument in Columbia with the name of his long-secret, mixed-race daughter. It was quite the revelation in 2003, when venerable 100-year old Thurmond finally departed, and a woman stepped forward to claim she was his daughter by way of his union with a teenage housekeeper in the 1920s.... [06/28/2004] Complete News Story
June 30, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
South Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- T-Rex Made of Scrap Steel, York, South Carolina
- Last Supper in Plywood, Ridgeville, South Carolina
- Kingdom of Oyotunji African Village, Sheldon, South Carolina
- Mepkin Abbey Tree Carvings, Moncks Corner, South Carolina
- Nightmare Haunted House, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Jennifer the Shark, Provincetown, Massachusetts
- Shoe Tree, Beatty, Nevada
- Bigfoot Trap, Applegate, Oregon
- Apple Dumpling UFO Docking and Teleportation Center, Cane Beds, Arizona
- Giant Longhorn and Early Oil Mural, Odessa, Texas