Columbia, South Carolina: Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
After he died, the name of Strom's bi-racial daughter was chisled into its base.
- Pendelton St., Columbia, SC
- Downtown, in front of the State Capitol, facing Pendelton St. between Assembly and Sumter Sts. Two blocks south of US 1/76. (Gervais St.)
Dead senator's biracial daughter's name to be added to his monument
Visitor Tips and News About Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
South Carolina's Governor Mark Sanford has approved a bill that will append Strom Thurmond's monument in Columbia with the name of his long-secret, mixed-race daughter. It was quite the revelation in 2003, when venerable 100-year old Thurmond finally departed, and a woman stepped forward to claim she was his daughter by way of his union with a teenage housekeeper in the 1920s.... [06/28/2004] Complete News Story
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 20, 2014
South Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- Teapot Museum in Big Teapot, Elloree, South Carolina
- Big Peanut, Pelion, South Carolina
- Moonshine Distillery: Otis the Donkey, Anderson, South Carolina
- Bee City: Town of Beehives, Cottageville, South Carolina
- Atom Bomb Dropped Here, Mars Bluff, South Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Confederate Nuclear Missile, Cordele, Georgia
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- World's Largest Functioning Fire Hydrant, Las Vegas, Nevada
Latest Visitor Tips