Columbia, South Carolina: Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
After he died, the name of Strom's bi-racial daughter was chisled into its base.
- Pendelton St., Columbia, SC
- Downtown, in front of the State Capitol, facing Pendelton St. between Assembly and Sumter Sts. Two blocks south of US 1/76. (Gervais St.)
Dead senator's biracial daughter's name to be added to his monument
Visitor Tips and News About Strom Thurmond's Modified Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
South Carolina's Governor Mark Sanford has approved a bill that will append Strom Thurmond's monument in Columbia with the name of his long-secret, mixed-race daughter. It was quite the revelation in 2003, when venerable 100-year old Thurmond finally departed, and a woman stepped forward to claim she was his daughter by way of his union with a teenage housekeeper in the 1920s.... [06/28/2004] Complete News Story
February 5, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
South Carolina Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Parking Lot Rooster, Columbia, South Carolina
- Shark Entrance, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Giant Full-Length Shark, North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Maze Mania - Changing Wall Patterns, Garden City, South Carolina
- Baseball Water Tower, Fort Mill, South Carolina
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Memorial to Doomed Space Shuttle Astronaut, Beaufort, North Carolina
- 20-Foot-Tall Wooden Nickel, Carl's Corner, Texas
- Seated Native American Statue, Roosevelt, Utah
- James Dean Birth Site Memorial, Marion, Indiana
- Biosphere 2, Oracle, Arizona