Haines, Alaska: Hammer Museum
Featuring a towering 20-foot-tall hammer at the entrance, owner Dave Pahl has more than 2,200 of its smaller kin inside.
- 108 Main St., Haines, AK
- Just up the hill from the boat harbor.
- May-Sep. M-F 10-5 (Call to verify)
- $3 (Kids 12 and under Free)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Hammer Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This museum is in downtown Haines, about a ten minute walk from the ferry boat from Skagway (only a 45 minute ferry ride from the cruise ship docks in Skagway). The museum attendant said there were about 1,700 hammers displayed and about 7,000 in storage. The museum was started because the owner's wife would let him have only 100 hammers at home.
I saw two gag hammers. One is a two-handed hammer given by a factory as a safety award. The other is an electric hammer that doesn't work any differently when it is plugged in.
[Dan Kaplan, 07/21/2011]
The Hammer Museum, located on Main Street, has over 1,400 hammers on display. This unique museum is easy to find as there is a very large hammer in front. On display in four rooms are various collections of hammers from ancient times through the industrial age.
[Margie Hovde and daughter Brinn, 07/29/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Skagway Brothel Museum, Skagway, AK - 16 mi.
- Grave of Polly the Parrot, Carcross, YT, Canada - 69 mi.
- World's Smallest Desert, Carcross, YT, Canada - 71 mi.
- In the region: Giant Paddle Wheel, Whitehorse, YT, Canada - 98 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 29, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- Whispering Giant - Indian Head, Valdez, Alaska
- Lonesome Fish, Valdez, Alaska
- Cat Mayor, Talkeetna, Alaska
- World's Largest Gold Pan, Nome, Alaska
- Dinosaur, Horse, Lady Greenhouse Planters, North Pole, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Large Bald Eagle, Park Falls, Wisconsin
- Halfway Between Equator and North Pole, Cadott, Wisconsin
- Wienerlicious Giant Hot Dog, Mackinaw City, Michigan
- Sit with Shark Girl, Buffalo, New York
- Pioneer Pete the Rooster, Lincoln, Nebraska
Latest Visitor Tips