Orick, California: Big Diamond Historical MarkerMemorial marker in a bar parking lot remembers an elephant who died nearby in 1927.
Hawg Wild Bar & Grill
- 10 Hufford R, Orick, CA
- Along US Hwy 101 in The Hawg Wild Bar & Grill parking lot. Another marker is located in the post office area (across the street?).
Visitor Tips and News About Big Diamond Historical Marker
A memorial marker in the parking lot of The Hawg Wild Bar & Grill for a circus elephant that died near this spot in 1927. The bones were dug up years later and thought to be that of a mastodon until locals who had known of the elephants death reported the incident to investigators.
Inscription: "Big Diamond", a circus elephant expired near here in 1927. His skinned hulk was buried. Years later, his bones were unearthed and speculation arose about a Humboldt mastodon until investigators were enlightened by people who'd seen the pachyderm's ignominious end.
Erected 1993 by E Clampus Vitus Eureka Chapter 101.[Kim, 10/20/2009]
Obscure event commemorated by the mysterious E Clampus Vitus. We found an account about the elephant online, imperfectly OCR'd from an old publication, so it doesn't seem to be fiction.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Memorial To Captain Courageous - Hero Floating Bull, Klamath, CA - 16 mi.
- Tour-Thru Tree, Klamath, CA - 16 mi.
- Forest Cafe - Underwater Dining, Klamath, CA - 20 mi.
- In the region: Ocean World - Pose in Shark's Mouth, Crescent City, CA - 33 mi.