Virginia City, Montana: Club Foot George's Club Foot
Thompson-Hickman Museum and Library
- 217 Idaho St., Virginia City, MT
- US Hwy 287 to Hwy 287, then 14 miles west into town. Idaho St. is one block south, and the Thompson-Hickman Museum and Library is just west of Broadway St.
- M, Tu, Th 11 am - 5:30 pm; W, F 1-4:30 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Human body parts are rarely exhibited in America's museums. Club Foot George's Club Foot is perhaps a good example of why. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
A stop on Roadside America's "Northwest Jitters" Hypertour. A gnarly display at the local museum. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Club Foot George's Club Foot
I am happy to report that Club Foot George's Club foot, in all it's mummified glory, is still on display in Virginia City, along with the petrified cat and a birthday cake baked fresh in 1899.
It should be noted that the Club Foot is in the Thompson Hickman Library/Museum at the end of town, and not in the building in the middle of town that says "Virginia City Museum". We went to the VC Museum first and were extremely disappointed not to find a petrified cat or a mummified club foot! (And for some reason, were too embarrassed to ask).
We did eventually figure out where we needed to go - the Thompson Hickman Museum does have a smaller sign out front saying "Virginia City Museum." Both museums are free, however, donations are recommended. The Virginia City museum is somewhat larger and has various artifacts from throughout VC's history. Both are well worth the stop.[Lucie, 07/16/2005]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Two-Story Outhouse, Nevada City, MT - 2 mi.
- World's Largest Automated Music Machine Collection, Nevada City, MT - 2 mi.
- Old Pitt, Elephant Killed by Lightning, Dillon, MT - 35 mi.
- In the region: Mysterious Ringing Rocks, Pipestone, MT - 47 mi.