Wilsonville, Oregon: Statue of Gentle Ben
Along with Yogi and Boo Boo, Gentle Ben was one of the few bears to star in his own TV series.
- SW Parkview Drive, Wilsonville, OR
- Ben stands in the center of a small park in a housing subdivision, on the northwest corner of SW Parkview Drive and SW Orchard Drive.
Statue of Gentle Ben
Visitor Tips and News About Statue of Gentle Ben
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In 1965, author Walt Morey, who lived in Wilsonville, wrote the young adult novel "Gentle Ben," the story of a bear and his human pal in Alaska. Walt Disney bought the rights, moved the story to Florida, and turned Gentle Ben into a late 1960s TV series. When Morey died, his family donated land for a small park in his hometown. Its centerpiece is an eight-foot-tall, carved wood statue of Gentle Ben. The 500-pound bear sculpture was stolen by some teenage morons in 2012, but Ben was found in a ditch and quickly returned to the park.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 08/13/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
March 2, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Oregon Latest Tips and Stories
- The Faux Museum, Portland, Oregon
- Ben Franklin Contemplating His Latest Invention, McMinnville, Oregon
- World's Largest Nutcracker, Roseburg, Oregon
- Cuckoo's Nest Mental Hospital Museum, Salem, Oregon
- Sea Lion Caves, Florence, Oregon
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: World's Largest Collection of Autographed Baseballs, St. Petersburg, Florida
- Flea Market Mascot Big Cow, Savannah, Georgia
- Blue Angel Weather Vane, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Cathedral of Junk, Austin, Texas
- Old Hardhide - Town Gator in a Cage, Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips