Abita Springs, Louisiana: Abita Mystery House
- 22275 Hwy 36, Abita Springs, LA
- I-12 exit onto Hwy 59, then four miles north to town. At the traffic light (the only one in town), turn right (southeast) for one block. In the downtown historic district.
- Daily 10-5 (Call to verify)
- $3.00 if you are over 3 years old.
- RA Rates:
- The Best
Bassigator Monster and UFO Crash Site -- two of many strange exhibits in "Louisiana's most eccentric museum." Roadsideamerica.com Report... [08/24/2014]
Visitor Tips and News About Abita Mystery House
We returned to this place and wow -- they added more stuff and changed things around so that I actually enjoyed it more. They still have the big bassigator, the 32-foot-long alligator, etc.. This place is hard to describe: a little junk, a like kitsch, a little folk art, a little arcade room, a little garden, a little public aquarium, a little fun house, and they now have a cave -- something rare for Louisiana. I recommend this for anyone with a sense of humor. It is not for everyone, but most people will be impressed. This is the same place as the UCM Museum. They seem to have two names.[BigMaloney, 01/28/2013]
The owner let our daughter feed the turtles, which made her day. The whole place had so much to look at and so much original art. We loved it![Thomas, 05/22/2012]
One of the most incredible places I have ever seen, and I have been all over the world. We met the owner and he is wild and crazy. He seems to have his hands in a lot of things. This place is full of weird collections, old arcade machines, odd taxidermy, some live giant turtles, a cave, a house dedicated to a megatronic hot sauce collection, and more. You could spend all day looking at this stuff. Some people would definitely call it a junk collection, but it is really more than that. It is extremely hard to describe.[TheBigMaloney, 04/29/2012]
This is a "must see" if you're within striking distance! So many interesting exhibits, and the curator is very cordial. Be sure and put a quarter in the fortune teller machine![L Judy, 03/23/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Abita Brewery Tours and Beer, Abita Springs, LA - 1 mi.
- World's Largest Ronald Reagan Statue, Covington, LA - 4 mi.
- Dr. Charles Smith African-American Heritage Museum, Hammond, LA - 25 mi.
- In the region: Tomb of the Unknown Slave, New Orleans, LA - 35 mi.