Morgan City, Louisiana: Famous Oil Rig Open For Tours
International Petroleum Museum
- 111 First St., Morgan City, LA
- International Petroleum Museum. On the banks of the Atchafalaya River. Exit US Hwy 90 at Berwick, then take Hwy 182 east across the river into Morgan City. Make a quick right onto First St. Mr. Charlie is around a half-mile south, on the south side of Railroad Ave. and the river side of the levee.
- M-Sa, 2 hr. tours at 10 and 2 (call in advance). (Call to verify)
The success of the now-retired "Mr. Charlie," a floating rig, made possible the entire offshore oil-drilling industry. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Famous Oil Rig Open For Tours
We scored a private tour on the day we were there and enjoyed a very informative afternoon. The guide was more than happy to talk process, tools, and politics... it's pretty much an all-access tour.[Corey T, 04/23/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Cajun Jack's Swamp Tours, Patterson, LA - 5 mi.
- Phantom F4, Racing Airplane Collection, Patterson, LA - 5 mi.
- Wildlife Gardens - Feed Alligators From Your Porch, Gibson, LA - 17 mi.
- In the region: Bleeding, Weeping, Smiling Miracle Mary, Baton Rouge, LA - 53 mi.