St. Bonifacius, Minnesota: Nike Hercules MissileCold War-era short range missile designed to knock down approaching Soviet long-range bombers. A ballistic nod to local Nike Base heritage.
- County Rd 92, St. Bonifacius, MN
- CR 92 and Wildwood Ave, northwest corner, in city park, next to the baseball field.
Visitor Tips and News About Nike Hercules Missile
A large Nike Hercules missile is located near a children's park and picnic shelter.[Sister Road Trip, 01/30/2011]
A complete Nike Hercules Missile, with two interpretive panels describing its part in the Cold War and the effect the Nike Base had on the area.
The old IFC base is still there, but the Launcher Site has fallen to deterioration and neglect. Missile was acquired from the US Army when the base closed in 1972. Recently repainted and panels installed by the St Bonifacius Historical Society. At night it is lit.[Thomas Logelin, 07/30/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Big Chicken, Delano, MN - 9 mi.
- Bench for "You Can't Always Get What You Want" Man, Excelsior, MN - 9 mi.
- Two-Story Outhouse, Belle Plaine, MN - 19 mi.
- Bird of Goodwill, St. Paul, MN - 28 mi.