New Orleans, Louisiana: Tomb of the Unknown Slave
On the side of Saint Augustine Catholic Church, according to a 2004 plaque the shrine of "grave crosses, chains and shackles" was dedicated to the memory of the nameless, faceless, turfless Africans who met an untimely death in Faubourg Treme."
Saint Augustine Catholic Church
- 1210 Governor Nicholls St., New Orleans, LA
- On the outside of Saint Augustine Catholic Church. Southwest corner of Governor Nicholls and Henriette Delille Sts.
Tomb of the Unknown Slave
Visitor Tips and News About Tomb of the Unknown Slave
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Saint Augustine Catholic Church in the New Orleans neighborhood of Treme' has a shrine commemorating the slaves that worked and died there. The shrine tells the local history of slaves that were hastily buried in unmarked, unknown graves because of treachery, yellow fever, or other plagues.
[Rachel B., 03/27/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 23, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Louisiana Latest Tips and Stories
- Marker: Where Stars Flirted with Local Girls, Morganza, Louisiana
- Birthplace of Willie Robertson, Bernice, Louisiana
- Feature: Louisiana State Penitentiary Museum, Angola, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long Death Gun, Speechifying Statue, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips