Roadside Pet Cemetery: Mascots
In life, mascots are celebrated. They stand, on hindpaws, as symbols of athletic achievement, civic and corporate pride. They don royal crowns and robes, lead our parades, are kissed by beauty queens and political candidates. They unite team and town.
Dead, the mascot's prospects of leading the parade drop precipitously. Yet, many still shine in the tourism spotlight pointed at their otherwise useless hometowns...
- Prunes & Shorty the Burros, Fairplay, Colorado: Died 1945,1951
- Old Joe the Alligator, Wakulla Springs, Florida: Died 1966
- Stiffy Green the Bulldog, Terre Haute, Indiana: Died 1921?
Andr the Seal, Rockport, Maine: Died 1986
- Andy the Footless Goose, Hastings, Nebraska: Died 1991
- Herman the Mouse, Manhattan, Nevada: Died ????
- Dodger the Basset Hound, Deweese, Nebraska: Died 1995
- Emperor the Penguin, Little America, Wyoming: Died 1950
- King Tut the Dog, Carbondale, Illinois: Died 1954
- Shorty the Squirrel, Tyler, Texas: Died 1963
- Patsy the Dog, Juneau, Alaska: Died 1942
- Testudo the Terrapin, College Park, Maryland: Died 193?
- Great Seal of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia: Died 1953
- Fred the Town Dog, Rockford, Alabama: Died 2002
- Shep, Toll Road Dog, Broomfield, Colorado: Died 1964
- Reveille, College Station, Texas: Died - various
- Plastic-Legged Rooster, Jackson, Michigan: Died 1997
- Bosco the Dog Mayor, Sunol, California: Died 1994
Memorial to "Dirty Biter" the Dog, La Conner, Washington